Followers

Monday 14 March 2016

Fabric Spool Book

I was given a beautiful wooden spool last November and knew immediately that I wanted to make a fabric spool book. I had seen a few online so have had an idea in my head for a number of months now.

I started with a long piece of calico onto which I stamped some PaperArtsy JoFY flower stamps using black archival ink. I had wanted to add some colour but I didn't have any suitable pens or ink pads on my weekend away. Once completed I laid this piece onto some wadding and then onto a contrasting piece of fabric and finally onto a larger piece of the calico. I placed a piece of ribbon between the sandwich at one end and a piece of hessian which was wrapped around my spool at the other end. I then used my sewing machine to stitch the layers together around the edge adding a few different stitches for interest. I also stitched around each of the leaf stamps I'd inked to give a quilted look.

Next I die cut the Tim Holtz tattered florals using a piece of the hessian, calico and some of the Tim Holtz eclectic elements fabrics. I stitched the flower to the end of the book adding a button in the middle to provide a closure with the ribbon. I attached a piece of lace at the other end to cover some of the hessian.

Next I die cut the Tim Holtz rosettes in Tim Holtz card stock, stamped a Tim Holtz clock face and cut a bird plus branches from a Stampin'Up punch. I used distress ink to add my favourite grunge look and put each of the rosette together adding a couple of idea-ology pieces. I glued all 3 rosettes to a wooden skewer which I then glued into the middle of the spool.

Lastly I distressed a small wooden spool which I attached to the top of the spool along with a few clear beads.
I am so pleased with my finished project.

Thanks for looking!
Tracey x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, it's much appreciated as I'd love to hear what you think of my creations! x